1. What is the relationship between Mrs Wong and Mrs Lee?
They are neighbors.
2. Is Mrs Wong a filial daughter? Give three reasons.
Yes because he is willing to take care of her mother without any complaint. Besides that, she had to shoulder the burden of duty as daughter and son. When each relative of the deceased was given a pair of chopsticks to pick from the ashes the bones that could be conveniently be stored in a porcelain urn, Mrs Wong discards the chopsticks because to her, the remains of her own mother appeared perfectly clean to her.
3. What is Ah Kow's real name? How is he related to the dying woman in the short story?
Ah Kow's real name is Fook Kee. Ah Kow is the son of the dying woman.
4. Why is Sam Poh Tong mentioned in the short story.
Sam Poh Tong mentioned in the short story because it is the place where the grandmother will be send.
5. What do you think the jade bracelet symbolises? Give your reasons.
I think the jade bracelet symbolises a person status. Jade is made from a precious stone and it is very har to obtain. That is why it costs a lot. A person who wears jade shows that he or she is a rich people. Apart from that, it symbolises a good health of the person who wear it. The energy in the jade bracelet helps to take extra care and protects the person who wear it. Moreover, people who wear jade have a good luck for years and longer life.
6. Do you think Siew May is naive? Cite your reasons with quotations.
Yes because she reacts immaturely when her grandmother died.
The quotation, "I want to go home...... Grandmother will be waiting alone!"
7. Did Siew May get the jade bracelet in the end? Why?
No, because her mother claimed that she is not supposed to own the jade bracelet. According to her mother, her uncle is the one who should own the jade bracelet because he is the only son in the family.
8. Do you like the story? Why?
No, because it requires a lot of thinking. I could not figure out who is the main character actually in this short story. I also could not determine what is the role of some characters in the short story such as Ah Kow and Mrs Lee. Apart from that, the dialogues are not understandable. In addition to that, I could not agree that in the end, Siew May did not own the jade bracelet.